Once Palaces, Now Chain Stores
Starbucks, Drug Stores, Churches. Link courtesy of Glenview, IL THS member Carol Slingo
TEXT and PHOTOGRAPHS By KARLY DOMB SADOF, NY Times
THE first movie theater in New York City, the Regent, opened in a German section of Harlem in 1913, with a showing of “Pandora’s Box.” The Regent, at 116th Street and Seventh Avenue, was designed by Thomas W. Lamb and had about 1,800 seats. Since the 1960s, it has been an evangelical church.
The city is dotted with such old theaters — many recognizable by signature marquees — that have been transformed into coffee shops and drugstores, retail outlets and temples of exercise. Instead of showtimes, these marquees show the passage of time. . . . . .
Full story and slide show at