Our ninth venue visit on 2013′s Conclave Theatre Tour will be to:
42 N. Main Street, Gloversville, N.Y.
OPENED: October 14, 1914
ARCHITECT: Original architect unknown/remodel by John Eberson circa 1940
CAPACITY: 800 (current)
The Glove Theatre opened in 1914 and was originally owned by Dr. Henry Cady and George Dartch. The Glove was created to accommodate a variety of live performances such as opera, vaudeville shows, and orchestral concerts.
The theatre was purchased by brothers J. Myer and Louis Schine and was converted into a vaudeville house in 1920. The Schine Brothers went on to parlay their two theaters in Gloversville into a five state chain of theaters. During the 50-year run of the Schine Theater chain, they owned, operated or leased almost 280 theaters in New York, Ohio, Kentucky, Delaware, and Maryland. The entire empire was headquartered in the sleepy little manufacturing town of Gloversville and the Schine Building, which is part of the Glove Theater building.
The Glove Theatre has undergone many changes since 1914, such as the full marquee, which was erected in 1939 to replace a small oval sign. The theatre saw its peak as one of the premier entertainment venues in Fulton and Montgomery counties during the forties and fifties. Starting in 1960, movie ticket sales declined and the Glove was sold.
Movies were shown until the seventies and then the doors were closed. The theater, which once served as the flagship of the Schine Empire, sat empty and moldering for almost 25 years. Water poured into the auditorium, grease from a fryer trap in an adjacent storefront pooled in a corner of the basement, pigeons made their nests in any available rafter.
In 1995, a group of dedicated individuals set out to save the Glove. The group was undaunted by the pervasive stench of mildew nor by the lush crop of mushrooms sprouting from the aisle carpets.
News of the Glove’s rebirth generated a burst of community enthusiasm. Money was raised to stabilize the structure and throughout the last decade, volunteers have continued to work diligently to restore the Glove to its former prominence. In 2003, the Glove Theatre Museum opened featuring memorabilia from the theatre and Schine families.
WHY ARE WE SEEING IT?
Strong grass roots community effort, home of the Schine Theater chain, THS visit will generate much needed attention.
LAST DAY TO REGISTER ONLINE FOR CONCLAVE IS WEDNESDAY, JUNE 5th!
(Images courtesy the Glove Theatre.)