On May 12th, it will be 85 years since the Grove Theatre opened at 7620 S. Cottage Grove Ave. in Chicago. While movies no longer play, the building still stands and currently houses the Israel Methodist Community Church.
The Grove Theatre was built for the Cooney Brothers National Chain and designed by Walter W. Ahlschlager. Like many late 1920s neighborhood theatres, it was part of a ‘theatre block’ but an elaborate terra-cotta
entrance highlighted its presence. The theatre closed in 1952.