|Designed by John Eberson , the theater first opened its doors in 1928 under the name Loew’s Atmospheric Theatre. The Loew’s Theatre ended its days as a movie theater in 1979 and was restored and reopened in 1983 as a performing arts center, the Carpenter Center for the Performing Arts. The theatre was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
In 2004, the 148,245 sq. ft. Carpenter Center was closed for an extensive $73 million historic restoration and renovation. This major project in the heart of downtown Richmond involved the redevelopment of a half-city block (the former Thalhimer’s Block) and incorporated the addition of a new community theatre and a black box theaters. The renovation and expansion of the Carpenter Center and its 1,760 seat theatre included exterior street facade restoration with extensive terra cotta restoration. Currently owned by CenterStage the Carpenter Theatre was reopened on September 12th, 2009 and now serves as the home office for the Richmond Symphony, the Virginia Opera and the Richmond Ballet.
Parrett was proud to provide the windows and insulated panels that replicated the existing storefronts yet provided the owner with a window that performs to today’s high performance standards. Parrett Windows and Doors would like to thank the following companies for their significant contributions toward another successful Parrett project.