THS’s first stop of the day was the Riviera Theatre. The theatre originally opened on December 23, 1925 under the ownership and direction of the Fitzpatrick-McElroy Company of Chicago. In 1927, Butterfield Theatres leased the Riviera Theatre and continued its successful operation for many years. In 2000, after a long run of events and films, the theatre closed its doors.
In 2005, the theatre came under new ownership, and work began on the long and meticulous renovation. The Riviera re-opened for business in summer 2008. Since opening in 1925, there have been two major building projects: in the mid-1940s, a major remodeling took place to include new seating and decoration inside the theatre, as well as the replacement of the original marquee with a new ‘Hollywood’-style marquee above the main entrance; in 2006, restoration began to bring back the original 1925 ambiance as much as possible.