After Three Rivers, THS continued on to Kalamazoo, MI. The first stop in Kalamazoo was the Chenery Auditorium followed by the State Theatre a few blocks down the road.
The State Theatre has been a fixture in downtown Kalamazoo since 1927. The original founder of the theatre was Colonel William Butterfield and the building was an atmospheric designed by John Eberson. The State was renovated in 1964, which included the removal of the original theatre sign. It continued operating until 1982. the building was purchased in 1985 by the Hinman Company. The purchase bought about further renovation and worked to preserve a part of Kalamazoo’s history.
The Chenery Auditorium was built in the 1920s and designed by Rockwell Leroy. From its inception, the auditorium has been a venue for big band concerts and touring symphonies. The auditorium was renovated in 1959, 1997, and again in 2007. The Friends of Chenery, a group of citizen volunteers, have been helping to raise millions of dollars over the past 10 years to renovate and restore the beautiful landmark.