Biff Buttler brings us a news link to a vintage theatre in his home town. Biff and our late president Michael R. Miller used to go together to photograph theatres. Mike’s excellent NYC theatre data card file (part of the THS Archive) tells us the Victoria opened Oct. 5, 1917 with 2394 seats. Architect Thomas Lamb equipped it with a Moller pipe organ which was replaced by a 2 manual 6 rank Robert Morton organ. The house closed in June 1977 and reopened as a 5 plex called the Movie Center 5 on Dec. 4, 1986.
“A new hotel, apartments, retail and cultural space are all part of a $143-million plan to bring a mix of commercial uses to Harlem’s storied 125th Street corridor above and around the historic Victoria Theatre . . .”