The Paramount Theatre is located in Youngstown, Ohio and was originally known as the Liberty Theatre. Designed by Detroit architect C. Howard Crane, with Stanley & Scheibel serving as associate architects, the vaudeville house opened on February 11, 1918 with the production of “A Modern Musketeer.” The late Neo-classical, Ecole des Beaux Arts exterior featured terra cotta ornamentation, while the interior featured ornate plaster detailing and 1,700 seats.
In 1929, Paramount Pictures Corporation purchased the theater and renamed it the Paramount Theatre. It then spent $200,000 modernizing the facility and installing a sound system for talkies. In 1933, Paramount went into receivership due to the Great Depression, but the company and theater survived to begin showing movies. A speakeasy later operated out of the basement.
Thanks to THS Member Bob Ashley for providing this story.